Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC) & Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) are two types of cement. White Portland Cement is the most frequent name that comes up for this type of cement and also in the cement industry.
IS 8042 is the standard code for White Portland Cement. PPC offers more durable concrete due to its low water permeability.
How to check PPC Cement
The IS code number should be printed on the cement bag as a reference. If you ordered Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC), the cement bags should have the ‘IS 1489-1991’ tag printed on them.
The strength of PPC cement is comparable to that of OPC 33 grade cement. As a result, it has a 330 kg per sq cm grade strength.
PPC is graded similarly to OPC in various parts of the world based on compressive strength at 28 days. PPC is similar to 33 grade OPC in terms of strength, according to Indian standards, while some brands of PPC are as good as 53 grade OPC.
Manufacturing PPC Cement
The siliceous or aluminous substance is a pozzolanic element in the PPC.
Which in finely divided form and in the presence of water, will react with calcium hydroxide generated during the hydration process at room temperature to form compounds with cement characteristics.
The essential elements in the production of Portland pozzolana cement are calcined clay and fly ash, which is a waste product formed in thermal power plants when powdered coal is used as a fuel. Electrostatic precipitators are then used to gather the material.
The material created is also known as calcium silicates, and it produces a lot of calcium hydroxide which is mostly useless in terms of strength and durability. It is simply a waste product that may be transformed into a cementitious product, and it increases the quality of concrete significantly.
When compared to typical portland cement, PPC produces less heat of hydration and offers stronger resilience to the attack of aggressive fluids.
Furthermore, when utilized in hydraulic constructions, it minimizes calcium hydroxide leaching. Cement with low heat-producing qualities is mostly used in naval and hydraulic construction, as well as other mass concrete structures.
Portland Pozzolana Cement Uses
- PPC cement used in Hydraulic structures, maritime structures, construction along the coast, dam construction, and other applications
- Used in prestressed and post-tensioned concrete
- Used in plastering
- It is used in decorative and art structures
- PPC used in the manufacture of precast sewage pipes
Portland Pozzolana Cement Advantages
- It is an environmentally friendly cement because the materials used in its production are natural recycled waste.
- It is ideally used for plastering because it is a very fine cement
- Pozzolano is made out of silica, which is cheaper and hence reduces the cost of cement making it more economical.
- Pozzolana cement is used in hydraulic structures, marine structures, construction along the seashore, dam construction, and other applications because of its high resistance to sulphate attack.
- It reduces the carbon monoxide emission from the concrete making it eco-friendly.
When compared to OPC, PPC creates more durable concrete due to its low water permeability. PPC has a lower initial setting strength than OPC, but with proper curing, it hardens with time. PPC is also less expensive than OPC.
Check This Out: How Cement is Made? Step by Step Guide